Thursday, May 29, 2014

Tantarian and Obtaining the Blue Narciss

Tantarian wasn't as bad this time around as I remember him being. Perhaps it was because of the new strategy I used. Lucky Seven goes out with a bang here as the guide calls for it to do 7777 damage three times. Thankfully, this is the last time Lucky Seven will be needed. Since I hate Lucky Seven, I played around with the strategy to instead rely on getting 7777 twice and 777 once. This triples the chance of Lucky Seven working out how I want it to.

At the start of the battle, Amarant went first and used an Ore on Zidane to bring his HP to 117. Zidane then brought out Lucky Seven for 7777 damage, opening Tantarian. I then had Freya use Lancer, Vivi cast Fira, and Amarant attack. Surprisingly, Lancer does not close Tantarian despite it both looking and acting like a physical attack.

Amarant's attack caused Tantarian to close, and Zidane immediately followed up with another Lucky Seven for 7777 more damage, opening it again. Vivi and Amarant then repeated their attacks, causing it to close again. I didn't have Freya attack this time because my previous attacks had been on the high end, and I wanted to make sure Freya could deal the final blow with Tantarian open. For reference, here are the possible damage values with the way my characters are set up:

Freya's Lancer: 500, 520, 540, 560, 580

Vivi's Fira: 1334, 1392, 1421, 1479, 1508

Amarant's attack: 819, 832, 871, 897

Freya's Jump: 555, 585, 600, 630, 645

If you care to do the math, having Freya use Lancer twice, Vivi cast Fira twice, and Amarant attack twice, along with the aforementioned required Lucky Seven damages will leave Tantarian with about 20 HP if the attacks all do average damage. This is why I held off on the second Lancer. Anyway, after all that Zidane used Lucky Seven one last time for 777 damage, opening Tantarian for a third time. I then had Freya jump and Vivi cast Fira on the party to knock everyone out. Freya then finished it off when she landed. As a result of this battle she learned Lancer, High Tide, Bug Killer, Man Eater, Locomotion, Undead Killer, and Gamble Defence.

With the battle done, I had to go through some scenes and skip a lot of dialogue, then run around Lindblum to get the three potions. I skipped saving with Mogki because there's nothing luck based here, though I did pick up his letter and deliver it to Moodon. I also skipped picking up the Elixir next to him because it's not missable and I don't need it. While I was in the Business District, I stopped at the synthesis shop and made 99 Cotton Robes, 99 Desert Boots, and a Glass Buckle, all purely for profit. I got all the other treasure mentioned in the guide.

When I finally got to the Blue Narciss, I put Vivi, Dagger, and Quina in my party just because they were the most convenient. Vivi is the only one I actually need in my party. I then sailed to the island with the chocobo tracks by Chocobo's Lagoon and saved with a time of 07:09:39.

No comments:

Post a Comment