Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Gizamaluke's Grotto

Now it's time to take on the black mages in Gizamaluke's Grotto. Before engaging the first Type As, I made some last-minute changes to my equipment so they ended up as follows:

Zidane                       Freya                     Vivi                       Quina

Butterfly Sword          Javelin                    Mage Staff             Fork
-                               Iron Helm                -                            -
Glass Armlet             Bronze Gloves        Leather Wrist         Leather Wrist
Bronze Vest              Linen Cuirass         Cotton Robe           Cotton Robe
Coral Ring                 Glass Buckle          Yellow Scarf          Yellow Scarf
_________________________________________________________
Man Eater                                                                           Millionaire

It is essential that Freya be equipped exactly as shown. Here's how the first Type A battle went: Zidane attacked first for a guaranteed one-hit kill. The remaining Type A hit Freya with a Blizzard spell, but she survived. She then jumped and Quina attacked. Due to Quina's random damage formula, there's a chance s/he might not do enough damage, but s/he did. Vivi then toasted the party with a Fire spell to knock everyone out, and Freya finished the battle with her landing. Freya went up to level 5, and I got some bonus gil. :) It's possible to get through this battle without the Type As ever getting a turn, but I was satisfied with this result.

After this battle, I revived only Zidane, healed both him and Freya just in case, and then immediately engaged the other Type A. Since taking the experience results in much easier battles, I rearranged the order of things here to make it a bit easier overall. I had Zidane attack for another one-hit kill, and Freya attacked since I didn't have Quina to do that this time. The remaining Type A used Thunder on Zidane (guess I didn't need to heal them. Oh well). Zidane then knocked himself out and Freya jumped to end the battle. Freya gained one more level to reach level 6.

I handled the scene with the moogles and saved. After reloading, I revived everyone, making sure Quina was revived with 1 HP. When I got that, I made some equipment changes to take advantage of Gizamaluke's AP. I gave Zidane the Feather Hat and Yellow Scarf, Freya a Yellow Scarf, and Vivi the Leather Hat and Coral Ring. I also activated Zidane's Steal Gil just for fun. I got really lucky in the fight because I was able to steal the Ice Staff (1/16 chance). I would have been happy with anything because the gil difference isn't all that great here, but it was still nice to get the best thing. I then fired off a Limit Glove and Gizamaluke died without even getting a turn.

I screwed up a lot in South Gate, but it only cost me a few seconds, so I kept it. I've found that talking to the worker on the left, then his boss, then Mary is fastest. Other than that, there's not really much to say about this part.

Getting back to Zidane and company, it was now time to dig up some Chocographs! Since leaving Gizamaluke's Grotto is scripted, the RNG is fixed when you leave, allowing you to run a great distance without fear of random encounters. I ran until just short of the gap between the mountains past Cleyra before saving. Then I ran to the tracks, called Choco, and dug up the Healing Shore Chocograph to get the Reef transformation. With that, I rode back to the Grotto and ran back through, picking up the other Gizamaluke Bell from the dead Burmecian soldier that you get the first bell from.

Back on the Lindblum side again, I ran toward the chocobo tracks, saving by Qu's Marsh. I then dug up the Small Beach and Streamside Chocographs for some goodies (especially the Oak Staff) and returned once more to the grotto. The only thing left to do here was to get the last Gizamaluke Bell from the soldier at the end of that long walkway. It took quite a few tries to get it without any encounters, but I eventually got it. With that done, it was time to finally say goodbye to Gizamaluke's Grotto and head to Burmecia. I ran a little over halfway to Burmecia and saved with a time of 02:25:35.

No comments:

Post a Comment