Saturday, September 14, 2013

Ice Cavern

This segment clearly showed that my lucky streak has ended. It took several hours of attempts, but I finally made it through this part!

From my last post, you can see that my save was not in an optimal spot. That was part of the reason why I decided to do some trance-gauge building using Mus. I got into a battle right outside the Ice Cavern with three Mus. I knocked out everyone except Zidane, then had him shift to the back row so he could absorb all the hits. After making him endure a couple rounds of hits, I ran. From save to save, this took 1 minute and 33 seconds.

Zidane's trance gauge is now about halfway full, maybe a little more. My aim is for Zidane to trance in 9 hits from Black Waltz 1 and Sealion. This will allow me to steal both the Ether and the Mythril Dagger. My reasons for including the Ether as well are:

1) I am a kleptomaniac when it comes to Final Fantasy games.

2) The extra 1,000 gil from the Ether will be nice to have for my shopping spree in Lindblum.

With that out of the way, I proceeded to attempt to get through the Ice Cavern with no encounters, and it certainly took a long time. What was most frustrating was the time I got an encounter when I was only two steps away from being home free. In the screen with the Potion and Ether, I got the Potion first, left the screen, got the Ether, left the screen again, then went through to the next area. There, I got the Potion and Mage Masher, went back the way I came, then got the Elixir and went through. On the last dangerous screen, I got only the Phoenix Down before going on to save. After saving, I went back for the Leather Wrist. Finally, I healed up Zidane and equipped him as follows before saving again:

Mage Masher
Leather Hat
Leather Wrist
Leather Shirt
Moonstone

Now I'm ready to go take on the bosses! My time is now 00:56:01.

No comments:

Post a Comment