Saturday, September 20, 2014

Tiamat, Kraken, and Lich

With Maliris defeated, I had to make a few annoying back-and-forth runs to make more Nero family members join the search. When I reached the entrance of Memoria, I brought my three highest-level characters (Dagger, Quina, and Freya) along to slightly increase the probability of escaping battles through L1+R1. It still never worked for me, but it might work for you. I allowed one encounter between saves throughout this whole process.

When I finally got to Tiamat, I first picked up the Rune Claws and equipped them to Amarant along with the Power Belt. I also switched Freya's Demon Killer out for Dragon Killer. Tiamat began the battle by using Absorb Magic, which was harmless. Zidane then used Soul Blade to put it to sleep. I then had Steiner use Charge!, Freya and Amarant attack, and Zidane use Soul Blade again. It's important to correctly time the selection of commands here. If you begin too early, Zidane's ATB gauge won't fill before the attacks start. If you begin too late, Tiamat will wake up before the first attack. The right time to begin selecting commands is when Zidane's ATB gauge is about 1/4 full. After this second Soul Blade, I repeated the same commands as before except I made Zidane steal instead of use Soul Blade again and had him do it before Freya's and Amarant's attacks. Zidane stole the Blood Sword, and Freya's attack finished the battle.

After the battle, I saved at the hidden save point in the next screen. I allowed two encounters in the next part because it's really difficult to get through those two longer screens without an encounter. Fortunately, these were the last random encounters I had to endure. I saved again at the next save point, then proceeded to the room with Kraken. Before engaging Kraken, I distributed Ether to everyone, then gave Freya the Dragon's Hair and Diamond Gloves, Amarant the Kaiser Knuckles and Black Belt, Steiner the Cross Helm, Diamond Gloves, Diamond Armor, and Power Belt, and Zidane the Ribbon. I also switched back to Demon Killer instead of Dragon Killer for Freya.

Zidane began this fight by attacking one of Kraken's tentacles. Kraken then attacked and missed. I then had Amarant attack the other tentacle, Steiner Shock the beast for 9999 damage, and Freya use Dragon Breath to repeat that damage and kill off the tentacles. Zidane then stole the Genji Helmet and Kraken cast Waterga, which knocked out Amarant and healed Zidane, so I had Freya revive him and Steiner use Charge! Kraken then attacked and missed again, and I finished the battle with one more Charge!

I saved in the next room, then gave Freya and Steiner another Ether and returned Freya's Steiner's, and Zidane's equipment to what they had before Kraken. I then went straight to the final boss of this challenge, Lich. Lich began by using Venom Powder on Freya, which missed. I then had Zidane steal the Genji Gloves while everyone else went all out. Lich then used Death Cutter and missed again, and one more Charge! ended the battle.

With all that over, I walked to the save point and saved with a final time of 11:36:33. After 13 months, I finally made it! I like to leave picking up the Excalibur II until after the save. This leaves a buffer of about 23 minutes for anyone who would like to follow in my footsteps. By the way, I have 16 Ethers left at the end, so you can feel free to sell a few more than I did if you're ever short on cash at some point.

Well, this will be my last post on here. Feel free to contact me with any questions or needed clarifications.  Until then, goodbye and I hope you enjoyed reading this!

No comments:

Post a Comment