Friday, January 10, 2014

Escape From Alexandria

Wow! I am in shock over how well this segment went! I started out by moving Freya to the front row and heading up the stairs. With Freya at level 8 and set up as previously indicated she can survive most of Beatrix's attacks and dish out decent damage as well! The only things that can knock her out are Shock and two normal attacks in a row. Thunder Slash will actually heal her thanks to the Coral Ring (this is why I got 3).

In my fight I had Steiner and Freya attack non-stop. Beatrix used Shock once so I had to have Vivi use a Phoenix Down, but at least it was only one. Zidane showcased his thieving ability well by stealing successfully 3/3 times. The fight ended pretty quickly with all the damage being poured on.

Next comes another benefit of raising Freya's level as I did. When Beatrix joins you here, she starts at Freya's level, which in my case was 8. This makes her strong enough that Climhazzard is guaranteed to kill the Bandersnatch. Thus, Freya is free to knock herself out immediately. Unfortunately, there is a chance she won't do enough damage to do it in one hit, so you may have to do it twice like I did or have the Bandersnatch finish her off for you.

Now it's time to get ready for the big Stop fest. I equipped my party as follows:

Zidane                     Steiner                Vivi                     Dagger

Mythril Dagger          Ice Brand           Oak Staff             Mythril Rod
Bandana                  Mythril Helm       Mage's Hat          Mage's Hat
Glass Armlet           Silver Gloves       Bone Wrist           Bone Wrist
Mythril Vest             Chain Mail          Magician Robe     Silk Robe
Yellow Scarf            Coral Ring           Gold Choker        Cachusha
_________________________________________________________
Protect Girls            HP+10%            Auto-Potion          Ability Up
Insomniac               Insomniac
Auto-Potion
Bandit

The next battle against the Type C's went really well. Vivi stopped the first mage immediately. Zidane stole a couple Potions and a Tent. Vivi got toasted with a Fira spell, but I was able to revive him and finish the battle with two more Stops. Steiner mastered Bird Killer after the battle, and I replaced Vivi's Gold Choker with the last Coral Ring and activated Insomniac.

The next Bandersnatch battle went perfectly. I stopped the first one immediately, and the other one wasted its turn using Tongue. Vivi then stopped the second Bandersnatch to secure the win. The battle after that went pretty well except that the Bandersnatch knocked out Zidane before I was able to cast Stop. I was planning to use the AP from all these battles, but luckily I've managed to make some tweaks to my later plans so everything will still work out. I don't want to have to go through this again -- not when Vivi got a perfect 6/6 record on Stops!

The final two Bandersnatch battles went perfectly as well. Beatrix got the first turn and used Climhazzard immediately. In the last battle, Steiner used an Elixir on Beatrix before getting knocked out by the Bandersnatches. Beatrix then used Climhazzard one last time to finish out this series of battles.

With all that done I ran straight to Mosh, picked up his letter, and saved.  My time is now 04:00:30, which means I did this part in 14:17.  That adds another two minutes to my lead over the target time!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Monkeyslinger, it's Camdad!

    I've really been enjoying your blog about your run. In fact, I was so impressed with your ideas about skipping the Needle Fork that I decided to start one last Path C run myself! (videos included, of course!)

    As for the cause of my long absence from the game/boards, I'm sure you'd understand better than most...

    I've been serving as a counselor in our bishopric here in Texas for the past two years now, and I simply haven't had the time. I was really excited to learn from your wife's blog that you're a fellow Latter-Day Saint! :)

    Keep up the good work, and tell your wife that I love her blog too!

    BTW, for the record (pun intended!), my best run on this part of the challenge (1st Path A run) was 13:50. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Camdad! I must say it's an honor to have you following me. You and letao are definitely the ones I've learned the most from when it comes to this game. Are you going to pick up where you left off or start over?

    That's neat that you're in a bishopric. That certainly would drain a lot of your time. I guessed you were LDS when I saw that you had a Mormon Channel video as one of your favorites. I also like that one. :)

    As for that last part, I figured the most recent one would be the best, haha. *waves hand* You didn't see anything...

    ReplyDelete